Sunday, February 18, 2007

Absurdism as a rule

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.

- Dr. Seuss

I can't remember where I found this quote, but it really rings true with me. Around 11th grade I had a gradual shift in my life whereby I realized how much better off I was when I embraced the weirdest thoughts that flooded my brain. Before this point in my life I had been far too wrapped up in trying to act normal. I think it was mostly about wanting to have sex with the "hot" girls.

I must have thought that if I bought an Abercrombie hoodie and, and..... what? I can't even remember what the hell I thought I was fitting into and how I was going about it, but it was smooth sailing once I realized that I could be weird as hell and there were other people that really got a kick out of the bizarre as well (including some different hot girls!). Lately it seems that examples of amazing absurdity can be seen more and more frequently in the pop culture sphere. 


Take for example two new shows on the notoriously wierd Adult Swim line-up on Cartoon Network, Tim & Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job! and Saul of the Mole Men. 

You can watch the episodes that aired tonight on Adult Swim's Fix.

My favorite segment from the premiere episode that aired last week can be found on the indispensable YouTube below:





What is the most absurd thing you have seen lately?

2 comments:

Matt Novak said...

Thought this might be of interest to you on the political front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kxTkhwR_Q

Matt Novak said...

Also, I love Bob Odenkirk. Great clip.