Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Open Source, DIY, & Face Yoga

Face Yoga? Hell yes! I have participated in this my entire life as I am a frequent yawner and eye-widener. I also discovered the eye exercises mentioned here years ago and have tried to incorporate them into my life. Basically, the advice I read said to look into the most extreme diagonal corners of your vision alternating opposite sides; so:
up to your right, down to your left, up to your left, down to your right. It also recommended holding an object or just using your hand for something to focus on in those corners of your sight for even greater benefit.

I used to drive down 10 miles of highway every single day when I was going to high school and when I was bored I would sometimes practice the focus technique by focusing on something on the horizon and then focusing on the dirt or bug brains on my windshield. Doing this back and forth for a while will make your eyes slightly sore and may distract you from the road so don't blame me if you hit granny going to get her mail while strengthening your vision!

Another thing to look at for improving vision is the controversial Bates Method endorsed by the amazing Aldous Huxley.

On the Open Source Front:

Paris LOVES the open source!
They are giving away 175,000 USB Drives loaded with open source software like firefox and openoffice (I assume, it doesn't specify the office suite)

Princeton library joins Google Books project
While Google definitely has some ulterior motives to many of their projects, I can't help but love them for trying to digitize every piece of literature ever. The addition of the Princeton Library will add thousands of pieces of knowledge to the fingertips of anyone with an internet connection.

I would also like to point out how much I endorse the new Do It Yourself (DIY) movement taking place thanks to the likes of people like MAKE & Instructables. A cool DIY item I found today is Make Your Own Febreeze!

I love Febreeze for its skip-the-washing-machine-when-all-that's-nasty-is-cig-smell abilities.

1 comment:

Lea said...

I tried doing the face yoga. I will be coming to you if at my next eye appointment my prescription has gotten worse! :)